Quote


"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." ~Mark Twain

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Christmas in Thailand

So the Christmas season starts the day after Halloween in Bangkok. You think I'm kidding... I'm not. On November 1st, I was walking to the BTS only to start giggling (almost hysterically) at the sound of "Jingle Bell Rock" Thai-style blaring over the Emporium Mall's loudspeakers. I couldn't contain myself when I saw the entire front wall of the 6+ story building covered with glittering lights and a 2-story, tiered, glittering, razzle-dazzle Christmas tree.

It seems Thai people adopt holidays that encourage sanook, or fun. When Halloween came around, I was surprised to see all of the decorations, costumes, and general holiday-ness of the city. Now that Christmas is coming, I'm even more surprised, especially in a country that is predominately Buddhist. But, I get the feeling that if there is a holiday where you can dress up, decorate, and get/give gifts, Thai people will like it. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving gets a little overwhelmed with all the other festivities.

Pictures of the decorations to come. I wonder if the malls will have a Santa Claus to take pictures with...

1 comment:

  1. Dude, same here in Zim - since I got here at the beginning of November, the supermarkets have been busting the $9.99 Now That's What I Call Christmas! album ALL THE BLOODY TIME. This week they have stepped it up a notch, and cashiers are now required to wear festive holiday hats. I don't know what else to say abou this.

    ReplyDelete