Quote


"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." ~Mark Twain

Monday, November 30, 2009

Average word of the day: home

The world is conspiring against me.

Ok, not really... but the past 24 hours have brought a serious influx of "home" issues. While living abroad (and having lots of adventures) can seem glamorous, it's not always all it's cracked up to be. I am extremely blessed to be able to see and do all that I've done, but sometimes it's hard not to be home.

Today was one of those days when I couldn't understand why I decided to move to Thailand. When my friend emailed me with news of her engagement (yes, that would be three engagements in less than two months - ekk!) I was happy for her, but also a little sad that I couldn't immediately drive to her house or pick up the phone. Plus, I missed mashed potatoes and pie. So, rather than wallowing*, I tried to distract myself by reading "My Life is Average". Guess what was the "average word of the day." Yup, that's right: home.

Finally, as the whipped cream on my sadly missing Thanksgiving pies, I turned on my iPod on my BTS ride this morning. First song that pops up in shuffle: Homeward Bound, by Simon and Garfunkel.
While the world may not be conspiring against me, I think it fortuitous that I booked those flights home already or I would think someone was trying to give me a message.

*i.e., Dictionary.com's first definition: to roll about or lie in water, snow, mud, dust, or the like, as for refreshment - that's what I mean (not the second definition: to flounder about; move along or proceed clumsily or with difficulty)

No comments:

Post a Comment