Quote


"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." ~Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Drinking straws

Plastic bag drinks...
all the rage
Drinking straws? Why, you might be asking, would Katie be writing about drinking straws? Ah, my friend, welcome to Thailand, the Land of Smiles and the Land of Drinking Straws (maybe related?).

When I first came to Thailand, I was confused when, every time I purchased a cool drink, the vendor would give me a straw. Now, yes, when you're drinking out of a plastic bag, straws are handy... or when you're sick... or when you smushed up the right side of your face in a freak accident... but under normal circumstances, I probably could have counted on one hand how many times I'd used a straw.

But, for some reason, they really like straws in Thailand. Rather then letting all those straws sit abandoned in my kitchen drawer, I started using them... and realized how handy they are. After a while, I got used to them. And, now, I'm addicted. I use a straw almost all the time. And, when I don't get a straw, I tend to stare at my drink, wondering how I'm supposed to consume it.

(How I feel without a straw)
(I just really like pigs!)

1 comment:

  1. So there was this time in elementary school where they replaced milk cartons with milk in bags, kind of like a Capri Sun but with less structure--like it was a little bean-bag sized bag that sat on the table much like a bean-bag, and you just poked a straw through a little designated place. I'm sure that they retired them because kids were breaking them and because the lunch aides had to help kids more than they did with the cartons.

    Also...nice new layout!

    ReplyDelete