Quote


"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." ~Mark Twain

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Getting lost in MBK

I do not like malls. Ask anyone who's ever come shopping with me, needed me to get something, or, in general, discussed purchasing items that cannot be had at a grocery store. However, Bangkok likes malls. A LOT. Along the BTS, there are malls at Phrong Ponh (Emporium), Ploen Chit (Ploen Chit), Chit Lom (Central and Central World), Siam (Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery... and another Siam something), National Stadium (MBK), and Mo Chit (JJ Mall). These are just the malls I know of along the BTS.

Before Christmas, I headed to MBK to get a camera for a friend staying in Cambodia. She wanted a Nikon camera, and I'd seen the store while perusing MBK for Christmas gifts. I thought it was on the third floor, near where the BTS entrance/exit is.

The thing about most malls in Bangkok is that while there may be a directory or map, it is usually not all that helpful. Also, in MBK especially (which is almost like a market in that there are lots of small shops with ritzy decorations that all look strikingly similar), it's very easy to miss a store as you shift your eyes from one side to the other. After circling the third floor four times, heading up to the fourth and fifth floors (where I had been earlier), circling around those floors, asking at information, cycling back down multiple escalators and getting completely disoriented, circling the third floor again, and asking at information again, I finally found the store... within eye-site of the BTS entrance.

I don't like malls.

1 comment:

  1. I also drop my wife off here in MBK, she can spend a long time here

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete